Monday, December 29, 2014

What comes of sleeplessness

After sleeping like crap, I woke up around 3 this morning in the midst of a massive hot flash, drenched in sweat.  I'm pretty sure that my body temperature was somewhere in the vicinity of the temperature of hell (should such a place actually exist).  I figured the quickest way to cool down was to go outside so I made the dog get up and go outside with me.  Because a woman in nothing but a drenched tank top and underwear looks less weird standing outside at 3am with a dog then she does without a dog.  I stood out there for  at least 10 minutes and couldn't stop sweating.  Finally the dog wanted to come inside because he was cold so we came inside and I took a cold shower.  After the cold shower I was finally cooled down to a reasonable degree but was up for the day.  So I made a pot of coffee and got my day started.

First I read some of Sarah's Infertility Honesty blog, which I recently discovered.  Holy amazeballs.  Her writing is brutally honest and deep with a healthy dose of sarcasm.  If you don't read her blog do yourself a favor and go there now.

Next I did a little bit of work that I needed to get done even though I'm "off."  My colleagues just laugh when they look at the time stamp on most emails from me.  I'm a terrible sleeper and would rather be productive as opposed to laying in bed and staring at the ceiling.

Next I started perusing The Onion's Year in Review.  The Onion bills itself as "America's Finest News Source."  If you're not familiar with it, it is satire, and it is hilarious.  They write their articles in such a manner that some people and organizations, including Iran's news organization Fars, often can't tell if they're legitimate articles or not.  For proof of this, see their Facebook page.  Anyway I stumbled across two articles that are particularly relevant for our community.  One about kids in restaurants (because I'm sure we've all experienced these types of parents and kids in a restaurant).  and the other about breastfeeding and knowing everything.  The breastfeeding article does have a picture  of a woman breastfeeding but the article is absolutely hilarious.  I'm happy to copy and paste the text of the article into an email if you want to read the article but don't want to see the picture.

It's just after 1 pm, I've been up for more than 10 hours, and I'm on my third hot flash of the day.  This crap is getting old!  My last post was a bit doom and gloom so I thought I'd lighten the mood around here a bit.  Hope everyone is having a fabulous day!

6 comments:

  1. So sorry you're getting the hot flushes. My sister used to go outside and lie on the grass to get cool in the middle of the night! Mine have largely receded (yay, HRT!) but at the worst, was getting 25-30 a day. Diabolical.

    I love The Onion too. Sleepless gives me the opportunity to read things on the internet I wouldn't normally get around to. Still, getting up at 3 am is the pits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine 25-30 a day. Right now my hot flashes are pretty unpredictable. I can go several days without having any at all but then have 6 or so in one day for several days in a row. It's not even really the frequency or intensity that bothers me, but the duration. Sometimes they last for hours! Diabolical is an excellent description!

      Delete
    2. Mine certainly didn't last for hours, but for minutes (which is how I managed so many). I can't imagine hours. Getting a respite of even a minute or two helped. Have you talked to your dr?

      Delete
    3. Thanks for reminding me that I need to call and reschedule the appointment! I'll do it tomorrow morning! I had a December appointment scheduled but my lovely Aunt Flo threw me a bit of a curveball in December and I had to cancel as a result. If another curveball is thrown I'll just go anyway as I wouldn't mind terribly if I didn't need to have an exam.....

      Delete
  2. You obviously don't live anywhere near my parents -- the windchill last night was -41C (which is essentially the same temp in Fahrenheit). ;) I am glad you found Sarah's blog; she is an amazing writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. -41?! No thank you! It's funny-I used to be one of those people who was cold if the temperature was below 60F. Now I won't let hubs turn the thermostat in the house above 60F..... I haven't even worn a coat this year and I live about five hours due south of you, but you could probably shave at least an hour off if it weren't for a couple of great lakes in the way. :)

      Delete