Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Catch up

In my last post I wrote about an email interaction with a couple of colleagues that crossed into uncomfortable territory for me when talk of pregnancy was mentioned.  The next day the colleague stopped by my office to bum some coffee and we got to talking about, of all things, birth control.  To give a little bit of context our employer sponsored healthcare plan does not cover contraception.  She asked me what kind of birth control I was on and I told her "broken ovaries."  She quickly connected the dots and began to apologize profusely.  It lead to a very meaningful but not invasive conversation about infertility.  I wish more people could be like her.

Pregnant sister 1 continues to be challenging and oblivious.  Thankfully pregnancy lasts for a finite amount of time and, at most, I have six more weeks of this.  I know she's due in February but I don't know and don't care to know her actual due date.

One of my goals for 2015 was to read two books a month.  I'm pleased to say that I'm almost half way through my second book for January.  I read A Fault in Our Stars by John Green per Klara's recommendation.  Right now I'm reading The Girl You Left Behind by JoJo Moyes.  Klara also recommended Moyes.  I'm terrible about writing book reviews but I may do that at some point.  Probably not for the Green book because it's popular and was made into a movie, but maybe for the Moyes book.

We had friends over last night for game night.  They're a few years younger but they don't have kids, so that is nice.  Even though (to my knowledge) they haven't even started trying, it was really nice to have adult conversation that didn't center around offspring.

If you haven't already done so, please go and read Mali's most recent post.  I needed those words. I bookmarked this post to go back to when I need to be reminded that it does get better, and I'm sure I will need the reminder frequently.

Otherwise, that's about it.  Work is busy, but it's always busy in January.  It will calm down significantly in a week or two.  For me busy is good.

1 comment:

  1. I agree - busy is good!

    I am glad about your colleague - that she connected the dots and apologized. I wish more people were like her!

    Yes, Mali's recent post is just perfect.

    Wishing you a nice week.

    ReplyDelete