Sunday, November 13, 2016

Happenings

I haven't felt much like writing lately.  Or reading.  So I'm just going to give you a few bullet points, because I'm sure I can't come up with a coherent post.


  • I'm concerned by the instances of hatred that seem to be uptick (at least anecdotally).  I'm also concerned that our president-elect hasn't done anything to condemn this abhorrent behavior.
  • Hillary Clinton's concession speech was one of the classiest things I've ever witnessed.  Even at what had to be one of the lowest points of her life, she exemplified grace.  I don't know if I could have been so gracious in defeat.  
  • We've already started Christmas shopping.  We decided that we'd buy all of our nieces and nephews at least one book.  We're had a lot of fun picking out the books to give to them, but I must admit that it's bittersweet too.  One of the things I most looked forward to was sharing books to my children.  
  • Related, even if we keep a modest price limit for each niece/nephew, it starts to add up fast. There was a point when I thought it would all be worth it since they'd be spending money on our kids.  I mean, it is worth it, but I think anybody who reads this blog understands what I mean.
  • I'm doing this thing for work.  It's really cool and really important, but it's also the hardest thing I've done to date in my professional career.  It will be worth it though, and the commitment should be (mostly) finished by the end of December.  
  • My laparoscopy is on Friday.  Luckily I haven't had time to worry about it yet, but I suppose there's still time.  :)  Even though I think I will feel fine by Thanksgiving (six days post-lap), I don't think we'll end up taking the road trip to my parent's house for Thanksgiving.  Mostly because I'm tired and need a break and don't want to push myself.
I hope everyone is doing ok.  I'll try to catch up soon, and I'll definitely update on my lap as soon as I have details.



12 comments:

  1. I am also always buying books for my nieces. Yes, it is bittersweet.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for laparoscopy!
    love,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Klara! I knew that you would understand about the books.

      Delete
  2. Been thinking of you. I too am concerned about the violence and the lack in the leadership to halt it. Pack of bullies. I also agree with you about Hillary's concession speak.

    The book thing is hard. One thing that has helped me is looking at it as a gift directly to these kids. You are passing your values on to them. It may not seem like much, but it is. Truly.

    Thinking of you as Friday approaches.

    And may work be fruitful, even when it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked books that I love, but also that I knew they would love too. One niece is getting Rainbow Fish, which I know she will lose her mind over. Plus the story has a great moral in light of what's going on in our country right now.

      The work thing will definitely be fruitful, but darn it's hard. I'll be less cryptic in an email. :)

      Delete
  3. I was also really looking forward to reading with my kids. I have hundreds, maybe a thousand, kids' books in storage. I can't bear to give them away... Maybe once I graduate, move, and get settled in a new place there will be somewhere I can volunteer and can read to kids.

    Hope your work project is going well! Thinking of you for Friday!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was able to donate most of my stash of books for my kids that I'd amassed over the last 15 years or so when we moved in May. It was hard, but I was ready, and a great organization got several thousand dollars worth of brand new books. But I had to be to the point where I was ready before I could even think about it. And it's not like I could give those books as gifts because they were intended for my future children, if that makes sense at all.

      Delete
  4. Yes, children's books are an emotional topic for me, too. I just LOVE books. Especially picture books. I used to buy the ones I really liked, giving myself the excuse of being able to read them to my kids later...

    All my best wishes for Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that so many of us get the attachment to books! Thanks for the well wishes!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's my hope that I can catch up on blog reading while I recover. :)

      Delete
  6. All the best for your laparoscopy tomorrow! I'm also still feeling sad about Trump being elected and worried about the increase in hate crimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I so agree....it's hard to imagine a world where he was elected!

      Delete