Sunday, April 2, 2017

Sometimes I'm firing on all cyllinders

I have a warranty on my engagement and wedding rings that requires them to be inspected twice per year.  Yesterday I knew I'd be near the store, so I decided to pop in for the inspection and get it out of the way.  Not a big deal, usually in and out in under 10 minutes.

Upon entering the store, the following conversation ensued:

Me: Hi, I'm here for a warranty inspection on my rings.

I hand my rings to the saleswoman and she looks up the warranty information on the computer.

Salesperson 1: I'll get these inspected and back to you in a few minutes.

Meanwhile I'm just sort of wandering around the store (because what else is there to do in a small jewelry store?).  I see a second salesperson approaching me.

Salesperson 2: There's still time to order a custom mother's ring and have it here in time for Mother's Day!  You could pick out exactly what you want and take the paperwork home to your husband so he can order it.  Then the kids could surprise you with it on Mother's Day.

At this point, I'm thinking that it's April freaking first, like six weeks from Mother's Day.  What gives?  I decided to educate (with a little bit of snark thrown in for good measure).

Me: Actually, Mother's Day doesn't apply to me so I won't need a mother's ring.  Do you have any special promotions going on for National Infertility Awareness Week?  It's coming up soon and applies to me.

Salesperson 2 looks at me like I have three heads and was completely speechless.  I continue.

Me: Considering one in every seven couples struggles with infertility, it would be genius from a marketing standpoint.  Nothing says "it sucks that we're having trouble making a small human" quite like a diamond necklace.

Salesperson 2 is still speechless when Salesperson 1 returns with my rings.  I thank them both and leave the store.  I quite enjoyed the awkward silence.

Sales is difficult, I get that.  Their whole job is to sell things to people.  If they don't sell things they don't get their commission, they have bills to pay, and that's pretty darn motivating to sell things.  But it's not ok to assume that every thirty-something woman that wanders into a jewelry store is a mother. Maybe she is a mother.  Or maybe she is trying like hell to be one.  Or maybe she wants to be a mother so bad they can taste it, but hasn't found a suitable partner.  Or maybe she has already closed the door on motherhood and is moving on. Or maybe she lost a child. Or maybe she have no desire to be a mother.  I really hope that my response made her think twice before deploying the "mother's ring" sales strategy to the next thirty-something female who walked in.

Luckily I was in a good headspace on Saturday afternoon and my reaction was one of "are you kidding me" as opposed to her words being painful.  A few years ago I don't think I would have handled it so well (or with so much sarcasm).

21 comments:

  1. This. Is. Briallant! Bravo! Yes, sales is hard, but some people really need a reality check. Bravo for giving it to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope she learns from the experience. Though I figure was the type who just bitched about it for the rest of the day.

      Delete
  2. Great response! It is not ok to assume all 30something women are mothers! I would have found her comments upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. On a different day, I may have too, especially since I've been in a bit of a funk lately.

      Delete
  3. Good for you BnB. What a stupid sales pitch. It was Mother's Day here the other Sunday and as I worked into the supermarket a young sales assistant approached me to give me a tulip. It's a good thing my grim face put her off because I really did have "f*** off" on the tip of my tongue (I seem to get much swearier the older I get).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I was pretty sweary to begin with, but between age and infertility, I've become much swearier too!

      I always forget that Europe has Mother's Day earlier than we do. I'm glad you were able to avoid being presented with a tulip! Again with the assumptions. Not everybody is a mother!

      Delete
  4. You are the best, BnB! I'm so proud of you! And I'm happy it wasn't painful.
    Thanks for making me laugh, too (I couldn't help but imagine the face of Salesperson 2)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elaine! It really was quite funny. I'm glad that I was able to have some fun at her expense, but also to educate her. I really hope she took it to heart and will think twice before leading with that sales pitch.

      Delete
  5. Amazing! That is THE BEST response ever. I love that you doubled down and then left them to think on it. So true. I hate how early mother's day promotions start, and the assumption like you said that everyone a certain age must surely be one. You also remind me that I lapsed on that inspection and need to do that myself at some point... It's so nice when they clean them, too. I sure hope those people are still thinking on what you said. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a sparkly clean rings too! Feel free to use my response if assaulted with the mother's ring sales pitch! ;)

      Delete
  6. You. Are. My. Hero!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was heroic, but it was definitely for each and every one of us who didnt think of the right thing to say until after the fact. :)

      Delete
  7. Good for you! It's the type of thing I quite enjoy doing these days, but rarely have the opportunity. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seize the day, right? I don't often have the opportunity, and usually when I do, I can't think of anything to say.

      Delete
  8. Wooo Hoooo!
    The Sass and Sarcasm is back!

    You were really firing… I never seem to think of the good replies when I’m in these moments. They usually turn up hours later, well after the moment has passed.

    You raised some very valid points for salespeople, and ugh, Mother’s Day is still to come here too, and all the advertising that comes with it; so not looking forward to the next few weeks.

    I agree that there’s an untapped market out there for savvy sellers; it’s to their own detriment if they pigeonhole us all into the one box.

    And really….. picking out your own surprise gift??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here with coming up with the perfect response hours later!

      I guess if you pick out your own surprise, you can be sure to get exactly what you want?

      Delete
  9. Oh my G-d, best response ever. And frankly, deserved. If assumptions are going to made, then a response is going to be given. She asked you a question. You answered :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo!!! Standing ovation!! Yes, it's NOT Okay to assume all thirty-something women are mothers.

    ReplyDelete